Flat connected learning is where all learners have freedom to communicate across borders rather than up or down – with no hierarchy.
Through Flat Connections we:
- Build futuristic global online classrooms without walls for learning to be personal, collaborative and challenge-based
- Provide platforms for learners to work together and co-create outcomes over a period of time
- Make positive change possible in the world through online global collaboration and action
- Design innovative programs to ensure success in global competence, intercultural awareness and digital fluency
- Aim to extend short global interactions and ‘show and tell’ creations into true co-creation of learning and actionable outcomes
- Provide the inspiration and support to build bridges between students that our future can walk across
When learning is ‘flat’ then global becomes possible and collaborative legacies are created.
Julie is a global collaboration consultant, teacherpreneur, innovator, leader and author. She worked in international schools for fifteen years as an educational technology and curriculum leader across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Her passion is for online global collaboration and as Founder and CEO of Flat Connections she designs and manages online projects for all K-12 levels and customizes learning experiences for educators including virtual courses and live events.
She is currently a Quality Learning and Teacher Leader (online) and Adjunct Lecturer for the Faculty of Arts and Education, Charles Sturt University; Director of Learning Confluence Pty Ltd; an Apple Distinguished Educator and Google Certified Innovator; President of the ISTE Global Collaboration PLN, a former ISTE International Representative on the Board of Directors, and a member of the Horizon Report Advisory Board since 2008. She has two Master’s degrees (Music and Educational Technology Leadership) and is completing an EdD at the University of Southern Queensland with research focusing on online global collaborative educators’ and pedagogical change.
Her first book, ‘Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds’ is a definitive text on how to embed global connections and collaborations for meaningful learning, and her new book, ‘The Global Educator’ shares approaches, updated practices and case studies on how to take learning global.
Based back in Australia Julie lives in the idyllic seaside town of Ocean Shores, northern New South Wales. When not travelling she works virtually from home, takes long walks on the beach, and dabbles in her ongoing passion as a jazz pianist.